Nope, it's not quite summer, but many of us are feeling the heat with temps reaching over 90 degrees already. These two yummy treats are easy to make, don't involve an oven, not too heavy and perfect for friends and family!
- 1/4 cup (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- zest of 1/2 orange
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 cup (about 4.4 ounces) white chocolate, broken into pieces
- 1 teaspoon orange extract
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- red & yellow food coloring, optional
- 1. In a medium saucepan, melt butter and add orange zest. Once the butter is completely melted, add the heavy cream and stir to combine. Remove from the stove. Using a fine mesh strainer, strain out the orange zest into a small bowl. Add chocolate to the bowl. Allow to sit for 1 minute before stirring. Stir and make sure the white chocolate is completely melted (if some pieces remain, return saucepan to the stove and cook mixture over low heat while stirring constantly until chocolate is melted).
- 2. Add orange extract and give it a good stir. Finally, add food coloring (if using) and stir until desired colored is reached. It only takes a small amount of food coloring. I used 1 drop of red and 3 drops of yellow. Cover mixture and place into the fridge for 2 hours.
- 3. Pour powdered sugar into a small bowl. Remove truffle mixture from the fridge and form into balls (I used about 1 tablespoon per truffle) and roll in the powdered sugar. Repeat. Place truffles into the freezer for 15-20 minutes if you want to enjoy them right away, or keep in the fridge for up to 1 week. Thanks to Kathi from www.deliciouslyyum.com for this great recipe! Check out her blog for more exciting ideas!
SUMMER BERRY PARFAIT
Toss 1 1/2 quarts hulled and quartered strawberries, 2 cups blueberries, 1 cup raspberries, 1/4 granulated sugar, 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon zest, 1 teaspoon lemon juice & a pinch of salt in a large bowl. Let sit, stirring occasionally until the berries are juicy - 20 to 30 minutes.
Whip 1 1/2 cups heavy cream, 3 tablespoons confectioner's sugar & 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract in a large bowl until peaks form. Or you could just used whipped topping in a bottle(lol).
Layer the berries and cream in mason jars or parfait cups, dividing evenly. This serves about 8 people.
Do you remember Law & Order? It was a procedural drama that depicted the crime, and eventually the courtroom drama that tied everything up. It was on from 1990 through 2010 with various actors. I loved this show and frquently watched it over and over again. I can't tell you what in the heck was going on, but for some strange reason I missed seeing the series from 2006 - 2009. What in the world! Needless to say, whenever I can, it's been catch-up time. What are you catching up on these days?
Are you one of those people who clean the room again once you get to your hotel? I'm the same way, and it's good to know that we're not alone. According to a study in 2015, 3 out of 10 people bring along their own supplies to make sure the room is spotless. This is so important that many believe this is a top reason to stay in that room, and more than half would pay extra to be guaranteed that the room is absolutely pristine.
TIP: I learned this from a friend who used to inspect rooms once the staff finished. Lots of people just jump in the bed because they are so dang tired upon arrival, but do this first!. If you want to find out if the bedding is really clean, pull back the comforter and inspect the sheets. Are there hairs, is it crumpled, or you see crumbs or stains? Tell the manager immediately that you need the sheets changed.
When you feel helpless or the world seems as if it's catching up to you, focus on just one thing you can control. The rest will have to wait.