Wednesday, October 7, 2015

WHAT IN THE HECK?

Granted, I have been out of school probably longer than I can remember, but that doesn't mean that some things shouldn't remain the same.  My mini-rant today - how come kids don't seem to have any homework these days?  I have a zillion nephews and nieces. Some by marriage and some I'm actually related to by blood.  For the past two weeks, I've interacted with 3 of them  more than usual when they get out of school.  Every day I ask the same two things, "how was your day?" and "do you have any homework?"  Every day I get identical responses.  School was fine and no one has any homework.  I'm scratching my head and wondering if I've lost touch, friendly blogosphere.  Do kids no longer have to do assignments that used to be due the very next day?  Are children studying for tests these days?  Are they reading any books? What are they carrying in those book-bags? What in the heck is going on?

If you'e been reading my blog, you already know that I have a serious girl crush on the very Marvelous Martha Stewart because she can literally do EVERYTHING! (lol)  Anywho, her latest cookbook is called Martha Stewart's Appetizers, and it is totally awesome.  Perfect for small or large parties, anyone can find something that's pretty simple to make, and is super tasty.  In many instances she gives the basic recipe, then several other things you can do with the same ingredients.  Before you get excited, this particular recipe isn't in her new book, but it has been listed in her magazine. Her book actually gives 5 new recipes for canapes for you to try.  But here it is.


Crab Salad Canapes



INGREDIENTS



  • 1 orange bell pepper
  • 4 tablespoons unsalted butter, room temperature
  • 2 teaspoons whole-grain mustard
  • 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
  • 1/2 baguette or ficelle,(fancy word for thin-lol) cut into 1/4-inch-thick pieces
  • 1/4 pound jumbo lump crab-meat, picked clean
  • 1/2 celery stalk, strings removed, cut into 1/8-inch-thick slices
  • 1/2 small carrot, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch-long matchsticks
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 tablespoon white-wine vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon fresh marjoram leaves, for garnish

DIRECTIONS



  1. Heat a grill to hot, or turn on the broiler. Cook bell pepper until it is completely charred, turning so all sides cook evenly, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer warm pepper to a small bowl, cover with plastic wrap, and set aside until cool.
  2. Using your hands, rub off charred skin. Slice pepper in half, and remove seeds and stem. Cut pepper into diamond shapes that are slightly larger than a piece of baguette.
  3. Using a wooden spoon, mix together butter and two mustards in a small bowl until well combined. Spread a generous dollop of mustard butter on each slice of bread.
  4. Place remaining ingredients except marjoram in a medium bowl, and toss to combine. Place a pepper diamond on each piece of bread, and top with a mound of crab salad. Garnish each canape with several marjoram leaves, and serve.


19 comments:

  1. When I was in school (only two years ago) I definitely had homework! Did I do it? Mostly, no. I was too busy reading. And those crab canapes look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have nieces and nephews and they all have homework. I see parents bitching on fb about all the home work their kids are getting and how Common Core math is so ridiculous that they might have to go back to school to learn it so they can help their kids with their home work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I haven't heard about that kind of math, but maybe that's why kids are telling me they have no homework. They just don't feel like doing it, right? (lol) Hugs...

      Delete
  3. OH. O.M.G. Those crab things look OFF THE FREAKING CHAIN RO! *Smacks lips* Drools* *Stomps feet* because I want those NOW! Make me some, pretty please? THANK YOU and now I shall love you FOREVA! <3 Teehee I've been missing seeing your posts Ro Ro! And been missing how hungry you always make me. I promise you I gain like ten pounds just clicking on your blog! Gah!

    And as far as homework goes, my little cousin gets dropped off by my house everyday and yes ma'am, she always has homework. I was shocked yesterday when she didn't have any homework so it is rather strange that they haven't been having any? Maybe it's the school system or something?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kudos Kool Keionda, and yes some of these recipes are super delish! I'm not the parent, but I just find it very hard to believe that over a two week period these kids have no homework, nor are they studying for tests. Cray cray for sure. (lol) BIG Hugs!!!!

      Delete
  4. Hmm weird! I have no kids so no clue on that front but I see lots of complaints on FB about homework.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ditto on the weird factor, Awesome Anna! Never seen any Facebook posts, but that makes me curious. Hugs...

      Delete
  5. The crab salad canapes look delicious! I couldn't help but think of Finland when you mentioned about the kids having no homework. I read about this quite a while back, but here is how they do things in Finland. They choose only the best graduates to be teachers and each class, instead of having 20 or more students, has 12 students. This gives the teacher more one on one time with the students who need it most. They don't have special classes for students, because they don't want to discriminate anyone. And since they have smaller classes and the best teachers, the teachers are able to see which students need more help and work with them. They have no homework, everything is done in the classroom. Yet their graduation success rate is at least 20% higher than North America's. It seems to me they are doing something right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! That sounds amazing and glad it's working because it makes sense to spend that one on one time, if possible. This recipe is totally yummy and so glad you stopped by to visit, Linda! BIG Hugs...Ro

      Delete
  6. The crab salad canapes look delicious! I couldn't help but think of Finland when you mentioned about the kids having no homework. I read about this quite a while back, but here is how they do things in Finland. They choose only the best graduates to be teachers and each class, instead of having 20 or more students, has 12 students. This gives the teacher more one on one time with the students who need it most. They don't have special classes for students, because they don't want to discriminate anyone. And since they have smaller classes and the best teachers, the teachers are able to see which students need more help and work with them. They have no homework, everything is done in the classroom. Yet their graduation success rate is at least 20% higher than North America's. It seems to me they are doing something right.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are killing me with this recipe! I might try it and if it's good, I'll make a repeat for the holidays.

    Homework, my son and nephew has some all the time. Maybe they did theirs during homeroom?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These nieces and nephews are a little sneaky (lol), but it will catch up with them. Crab salad suggested by Martha always sounds yummy! Hugs...

      Delete
  8. That's interesting the little kids in your life always say they have no homework. I always had a ton to do every night when I was younger. I guess it could be the school -or they are putting it off/doing it at another time.

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ditto! I went to an all female high school and they sure didn't mind piling on the homework EVERY night except Friday! (lol) Hugs...

      Delete
  9. My stepdaughter has tons of homework...so not sure about that! I do know that the backpacks have gotten OUT OF HAND. She'll bring her backpack when she visits us and it's ridiculous how heavy it is. I'm glad schools are gradually going to e-books. It's going to take a while, but eventually those backpacks won't even be necessary. They can go back to what we did back in my school days--we had a spiral notebook and one or two books we carried around with us. They'll have a spiral notebook and an e-reader. Or maybe they can take notes on an iPad?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I live in Switzerland, so I know the school system isn't the same, but all my kids have homework, and quite a lot of it, too. However, child number 3 usually tells me he has finished everything, and that he has no tests to study for... and then, he comes back home with grades that are just not acceptable.
    Those crab things look delicious, Ro, thanks for sharing!
    Lexxie @ (un)Conventional Bookviews

    ReplyDelete

We love comments, feedback and YOU! Hugs...