Wednesday, November 22, 2017

BANANARITA & SOME THOUGHTS

If you still need a drink for tonight or tomorrow that's simple and will wow your guests, you've got to give this recipe a try. Some people call it a margarita with a twist.  Go for the virgin version for the kiddies, or add some kick for the adults.




BANANARITA

INGREDIENTS

Ice
4 Mediums Sized Bananas
1/2 Cup Milk
1/4 Cup Granulated Sugar
1/2 Cup Lime Juice
Lime Zest for garnish (if you like)

DIRECTIONS
Fill a blender halfway with ice, then add the bananas, milk, sugar and lime juice.  Mix until frothy and serve immediately.  This recipe serves 2.


BANANARITA COCKTAIL VERSION

INGREDIENTS
1 1/2 Ounces Silver Tequila
1 Ounce Banana Liqueur
3 Ounces Lime Juice

DIRECTIONS
Fill a mixing glass with ice
Pour in the ingredients
Shake it up (great opportunity for some aerobics)
Strain into a glass of your choice
Garnish with a slice of banana


If you want to get some really great recipes for the holiday that are easy to make and have a vintage feel, grab Sweetness by Christy Jordan.

  • BLACK FRIDAY MADNESS
Years ago, we used to have to wait until the day before or the day of to find out about Black Friday deals in the local newspaper if you live in the United States. 
Now, I'm hopelessly confused on when to go, where to buy, or what's the best deal to save the most money.  Do I shop on Thanksgiving, the Day After, or wait until Cyber Monday?  What's a girl to do?


PARKING LOT RAGE
Yesterday, while driving through a parking lot headed to Kroger, I stopped at the 2 way stop sign, waiting for the other cars to go.  After about 3 minutes, I noticed they weren't moving.  There was a Ford truck in the intersection stopped with his reverse lights on  appearing to wait for someone else to move out of a parking space.  After about 5 minutes, the lady in the 3rd car walked up to this guy's truck with some type of stick, shaking it at him from the passenger side and yelling for him to move.  He yelled that he was waiting to get into the handicapped spot, to which she screamed," he just needed to ****ing move!"  She stormed back to her vehicle, cursing, and he moved just enough for everyone else to barely squeeze by. I mean this guy really wanted that spot! (lol)  
I didn't want any trouble. All I wanted to do was use my coupons for some FREE Nivea swag, so I didn't mind waiting around patiently. (lol)


WHEN WILL IT END?
I'm saddened over the loss of life from acts of terrorism, pure rage, mental illness and domestic violence, and imagine that those families & friends affected are struggling to find reasons to feel thankful right now.  I hope they are able to find some type of peace.



NO ONE GETS A PASS
The floodgates have opened, and no more sweeping things under the carpet. Out of everyone who has come forth regarding allegations of sexual harassment or misconduct, I was more surprised to hear about Charlie Rose, who I watched regularly on 60 Minutes. 
But it reminds me once again how people in positions of power feel comfortable saying and doing whatever they like to achieve sexual satisfaction or control.
No one should feel uncomfortable in the workplace, which is where most of us spend a good portion of our day.  I feel badly for the victims who have suffered through the nightmare when it occurred, and to go through it again now that those heinous acts have become public. To the perpetrators I feel embarrassed that they felt the need to hurt someone in this manner, and relief that their despicable behavior has come to light for all the world to see.


DOMESTIC VIOLENCE & HOLIDAYS
Statistically, calls that come in during the week of Thanksgiving actually decrease according to the National Resource Center of Domestic Violence, but progressively begin to spike higher up until Thanksgiving Day.  Then the week immediately after, the numbers are much more alarming, increasing significantly.  So while the holidays should be a time of joy, the abused victims suffer even more than many of us can even imagine.  What can you do?
Sometimes the best thing ever is to be there just to listen when someone reaches out and is ready to talk.  It's free and can make a world of difference to someone.



THANKFUL
I'm thankful for lots of things which include having a roof over my head and a bed to sleep on. Being homeless makes you appreciate those things that much more.  And of course I'm so happy to have many, many books to read, food to eat and the Internet. I'm grateful to have met so many blogging friends who entertain me on a daily basis with their tips, laughter and information. 
More than anything, I miss being away from my son and his family, who live in another state, but I'm thrilled that he's around by phone or email to deal with my nutty conversations.  This Thanksgiving, no gigantic meal.  It's just me this year, so I'll be enjoying macaroni and cheese and yes - a cheeseburger,(lol) along with some movies that will hopefully keep me out of trouble.  If you celebrate, I wish you and your wonderful families a safe and Happy Thanksgiving!



If you'd rather miss all the Black Friday hoopla, save your cash and head to Fort Lauderdale Florida on December 9 for the Winterfest Boat Parade.  There are plenty of mega yachts and celebrity sightings for your viewing pleasure.







58 comments:

  1. I am not a fan of banana flavored things, but I might just try that top cocktail because... well... booze. lol! ;-) - http://www.domesticgeekgirl.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't normally eat them alone or in banana pudding, but this sounds kind of neat. Happy Thanksgiving to you and your family Gingi! Hugs...RO

      Delete
  2. Yum, I would like a bananarita! Happy Thanksgiving Ro!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Raising up a glass to you Kim and hope you and your family have a wonderful Thanksgiving! Hugs...RO

      Delete
  3. Greeting from North Idaho and stop in from Andrew. Your bananarita does sound good.
    I've never done black friday the news report scares me, anyhow I do support small business Saturday and I will purchase a few items that day.
    If you fine the time stop in for a cup of coffee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I peeked a little, and it was too crazy for sure, and like you, the news reports made it look even worse.(lol) I'm so glad that you stopped by to say hello, and I'm pleased to meet you! Hugs...RO

      Delete
  4. We don't celebrate Thanksgiving here, but domestic violence spikes just after Christmas. Those happy holiday times can be a complete minefield. Hard for those grieving, hard for those alone, and hard for the abused.
    I hope your Thanksgiving is lovely. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't think people realize the danger of the holidays for so many. While looking at the numbers for 2016, I was shocked to see how it kept creeping up, getting higher on Thanksgiving, and as you mentioned, spiraling out of control by Christmas. I imagine you see it first hand with the calls you receive from the victims. The liquor, the mental illness, the cruelty, money issues, the rage and the control all play a part in the violence, and often makes me feel so helpless. I just wish I had a magic wand to make the world a happy place. I sure hope your Tuesday is as wonderful as you are EC! Hugs...RO

      Delete
  5. They have Black Friday here now too, and Black Friday week, sigh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's sure a lot of stuff going on, right? (lol) Hugs...

      Delete
  6. Happy Thanksgiving to you too. My dad, step mom, daughter and grandson are coming over tomorrow for dinner. I do all the cooking for the holidays now. My mom used to but one year she said she was done it was my turn. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow Mary, that's cool that all the family comes over to your place to celebrate. I'm with your mom - when we get a little older, it's great when the kids can take over a little bit. I'll bet you came up with some really neat recipes, too. Happy Tuesday! Hugs...RO

      Delete
  7. Happy Thanksgiving RO!!

    I pray for those suffering the sexual abuse and domestic violence that happens everyday, and I appreciate your determination to bring awareness to these problems and for the help that you provide for the victims. You are correct in that one of the things we can do for victims is to listen to them, just simply being heard is sometimes the first step in getting the help they need.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey there Jimmy, and I hope you had a joyous Thanksgiving with your family. I bet you have all kinds of goodies to tell us!(lol) It's ridiculous that this abuse continues and now to hear about Massage Envy getting into it as well is ridiculous. Massages are supposed to relax us, and no one should have to worry about being assaulted or harassed, and having to pay for it at that!!!! It's really interesting to talk to people who often tell me that their fears or thoughts are simply brushed off by friends and even family. They just need a caring ear and lots of hugs. Happy Tuesday to you! Hugs...RO

      Delete
  8. My keyboard is still not working properly. Stopped by to let you know I was here and to wish you a beautiful Thursday and happy Thanksgiving, if you celebrate it. LOVE YA RO!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I sure hope the keyboard is back to doing what in the heck it's supposed to do Elizabeth! That's the pits that you've been having trouble. I hope your Thanksgiving was filled with lots of relaxation and fun! Hugs...RO

      Delete
  9. I'm "thankful" to you for sharing your Bananarita recipe! Happy, Happy Thanksgivng!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope your Thanksgiving was wonderful, Angela! Hugs...

      Delete
  10. I don't even go outside on black fridays anymore, I think it's better to stay at home and shop online. it's ridiculous how thanksgiving has become more of a day for shopping than anything else. I don't celebrate the holiday so I don't mind all the sale days.

    have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear you on that one Lissa! Every time I look at the news once that day is over, something wild has taken place. It's definitely more comfy to shop from home that's for sure. Do you celebrate Christmas at all? Hugs...RO

      Delete
  11. Happy Thanksgiving. I hope you had a great holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was definitely an interesting day, and I have enough cranberry recipes to last into 2018! (lol) Hugs...RO

      Delete
  12. Wishing you and your family a Happy Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope your Thanksgiving was amazing! Hugs...RO

      Delete
  13. Great post RO, um no to the Bananarita yuck. And I'm so glad that women are finally able to have their voices heard and something is finally being done. I'm sorry that the giants are falling but no one should receive a pass on unacceptable behavior but there are still men high up who have boasted that being a star allows him/them to get away with this abhorrent behavior.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seems like women and situations that have happened are coming out of the woodwork. It's sad that it took so long for them to have the courage, but I'm glad they have. True, no passes. Hugs...and Happy Wednesday! RO

      Delete
  14. I like the idea of the first banana recipe though I don't think I'd love it with alcohol! Christy Jordan lives in the same town I do and I love her cookbooks! I have Sweetness but haven't used it nearly as much as I want to. Thanks for the reminder to dig it out! Hope you and your had a wonderful Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's so cool that you guys live in the same town! I can't tell you how amazed I was to see those recipes, and some of them are truly vintage bringing back memories of when I was young. I plan to try quite a few. Hope your Thanksgiving was as amazing as you are Katherine! Hugs...RO

      Delete
  15. Bananarita sounds good.

    I am just as confused about this whole week long Black Friday phenomenon followed by Cyber Monday stretching out over several days, too. ;)

    Yes, the patience when out in the crowds needs to happen.

    Great post as usual, Ro!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. By the way, I'm still confused Sophia. (lol) I'm not a serious fan of bananas, but occasionally, I find some really neat recipes that include them. Happy Wednesday! Hugs...RO

      Delete
  16. The banana cocktail looks good! I got so many black friday emails and it's not over yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My email listing is overflowing too Christine, and you're right - it's not over yet! lol Hugs...RO

      Delete
  17. I hope your quiet Thanksgiving was lovely, and that you had some time to read or watch a favorite show or whatever else feeds your spirit.

    It's sad to see the allegations coming out about various celebrities and politicians, some of whom we respected and liked for the work they produced. Too many people (mostly men) seem to think that being powerful and important gives them the right to take what they want, no matter how uncomfortable or reluctant the other person is. It's important that women and men who have been subjected to this sort of thing are now speaking up and speaking out, and that those who have thought their power gave them privilege have to own up to and pay for the ways they abused that power. While I'm sorry to lose the respect I had for people like Charlie Rose, I'd rather know the truth. And hopefully other men (and women) in positions of power will heed the warning, and not prey on those with less voice and influence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thrilled to watch my Christmas movies Lark, and hope your day was amazing. I agree, that having power doesn't give people unlimited rights to do whatever. Like you, I felt a connection with several peeps, and now that's gone, but I commend those who at least admit that they did something wrong instead of lying about it. Adding Russell Simmons and Matt Lauer to the mix was another sad disappointment. Hope your day is as wonderful as you are, Lark! Hugs...

      Delete
  18. And let me just say, we're blessed to have you, Rockin Ro.
    I hope you enjoyed your Thanksgiving.
    I've got to admit, I hate it when parkers clog up the parking lot for everyone else just to get a closer spot. I hope your day has been fun and your evening relaxing.
    Hugs

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Happy After Thanksgiving to you Super Sandra! I'm the world's worst backer upper, so I'll drive around trying to get the spot where I can just drive straight out when I'm ready to leave. Unfortunately, it's often not right up front, so I definitely get in my aerobics. (lol) I saw the pics, and was so happy to see that you were able to spend time with family for the holidays and to have a fabulous time! Hugs...RO

      Delete
  19. I'm not a black friday shopper. I honestly don't really get it. The majority of the stuff (the big electronics)are on sale because they are cheaply made. You're not really getting a good deal in the end. I used to shop on Amazon on BF and CM but the past few years have been a bust for me. Which, I guess is a good thing for my wallet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You save time and maintain your sanity by skipping out on BF for sure Kristin, especially if you end up buying a dud. That would really bum me out. Hope you've been doing well. Hugs...RO

      Delete
  20. Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could notch down the violence, learn to respect each other and embrace world peace?
    Hope your evening is as great as you are, Rockin Ro.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I neglected to say that you're the best, and always say such kind and motivational things to make my day, Super Sandra! I just need to pretend to be "I Dream of RO" minus the costume and genie bottle of course(lol) and blink away all the cruelty, violence and mayhem. Happy Tuesday! Hugs...RO

      Delete
    2. No...you're the best;)
      I love the idea of you being the genie in the bottle and blink away cruelty and violence....hmm...there may be a story in there....
      Did you get your free swag?

      Delete
    3. I got a few goodies tied to coupon shopping, but that actually happened on the Saturday after Thanksgiving. I always love a good deal! Hugs...

      Delete
  21. That bananarita sounds pretty good!

    I got a lot of e-mails about deals on black Friday and cyber Monday, but I didn't actually buy anything. It was a bit overwhelming to be honest.

    I hope you had a great thanksgiving! Those are all great things to be thankful for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm STILL getting emails on deals, and it's overwhelming for sure. I sure hope you had some time to relax a little, Lovely Lola! Hugs...RO

      Delete
  22. I think I am going to try the bananarita recipe. Looks refreshing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm a foodie, but I shy away from recipes that have a whole bunch of steps, so this perfect. Hugs...

      Delete
  23. I hope you had a Happy Thanksgiving! Loved hearing the things you are thankful for. :)

    I love bananas- so that recipe sounds tasty! I agree- people should not feel uncomfortable in the workplace.

    Have a great weekend!
    ~Jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jess and Happy Wednesday to you! I fell in love with how simple this one is for sure! Hope your Thanksgiving was relaxing! Hugs..RO

      Delete
  24. I do all mine online, you won't find me in fist fights in walmart over something stupid. Walmart certainly has a problem, if they need several police stationed at every walmart on BF, then they need to regulate how they do things.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I agree, Adam, but some things have changed based on the time of day of the deal in a few of them. But I'm with you, if police need to be in the store, they need to rethink their sales strategy for sure. years ago, I was near some people who were vulgar and violent over a 55 inch flat screen television, but I was just thankful it didn't travel over to me. On tv, I've actually seen people trampled as they ran to get a deal. Everyone knows I love freebies and deals, but a girl's gotta have some limits.

      Delete
  25. I thought of you yesterday! I was out and about and saw a hamburger Christmas ornament:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seeing that ornament AND thinking of me tells you had the best day ever, Super Sandra! (lol) Hugs...

      Delete
  26. I think I could get into that drink for sure. Ugh on parking lots. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That young lady was super tiny, but she was serious about getting that man to move his truck so she could get by! Crazy!

      Delete
  27. Fabulous post my friend!

    drink looks delicious and easy to try ,i will soon :)

    even heard and watched on news about this black friday fever .
    you mentioned the whole scenario brilliantly .
    loved the para of you thankfulness and like you either i miss my son sooo much who is in Germany for masters

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can totally relate to missing your gorgeous son. Mine is grown and has a family of his own in another state. I'm fine the rest of the year, but holidays can be rough. the drink is super easy to make for sure Baili. The Black Friday stuff is definitely over the top! Hugs...RO

      Delete
  28. I'll take one of those drinks please :)

    We went shopping for the first time ever on Black Friday and it wasn't too bad but we limited ourselves to one particular store and we went later in the day. We would probably go again because the deals were really good.

    I can attest to the increase in stress. In the circles of people I'm around, this is the time of year where we see a lot of people struggle, my hubby included. Most people tend to think that holidays bring out joy and happiness, but for many it can bring up some rough memories. Thank you for reminding us of that.

    Have a beachy week!
    Elsie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey There Elsie! I'm sure thrilled to hear that you snagged some deals, without all the headache tied to it. It's so sad to hear about those who go through the stress and trauma associated with holidays. It sure helps to have people around who understand and care. Happy Wednesday! Hugs...RO

      Delete

We love comments, feedback and YOU! Hugs...