Tuesday, August 11, 2015

DO YOU THROW YOUR BOOKS AWAY?

The other day I ran into a blogger who was really interesting.  She reads and loves books, but when she's done, she usually gives them away.

I also have a very close friend who doesn't care about books at all, but somehow she manages to accumulate them.  Some she gives to me, many go to charity and others are simply thrown away. Eek!

Most of the readers I know save their books, have even larger TBR piles, or keep adding more to their already overflowing shelves.

My books are set up by author on some bookcases, and by genre on others.  I'm getting better, because at one time, they literally took over the house.  In some instances, it was even hard to get my friends back to the library!


I've also been known to save magazines, but have managed to whittle that down to keeping just those from 2013 up to now. (lol)

What about you?  When books seem to overflow, or you're tired of certain novels, do you simply get rid of them?  

JUST ONE MORE THING

Today is my anniversary of 7 years, but did I neglect to mention that it's my birthday tomorrow? (lol)

Like me, Martha Stewart was born in August, and to say that I admire her would be an understatement.  Many people don't know that she actually started her career as a stockbroker until starting her own catering business in the 1970s.  

When I see her brand in stores, pick up a cookbook, see her on television or peruse her magazine, it never ceases to amaze me that she has accomplished so many things.  I mean, it seems like she can do everything!  If you get a chance, peek at her magazine for some really great tips on food, decorating, making jam, etc.  


17 comments:

  1. Happy anniversary !!!! And happy future birthday ;)
    When I was younger, I never would have thrown a book away - sacrilege ! But now that I'm older and a librarian... Well, there are not only Books with a capital B, there are good books and bad books (a huge amount of each). And you have that little room on the shelves to keep them... Conclusion : not keeping them all. But not throwing them away either : I give those in good condition to the library, I leave the others in trains or on benches in the streets, just in case ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Iza and hope all is well. Thanks for the kind wishes.Oh wow! That's such a great idea and thoughtful! Someone else can get the benefit of a good book as a surprise gift. I love that idea! Hugs...

      Delete
  2. Happy anniversary and happy birthday!
    I'm good with magazines and pretty much toss them in the recycle bin as soon as I finish them. Books are a bit harder. If it's a book I know I'm not going to read again (which to be honest is most of them) then I use paperbackswap.com to trade them. I've had a few that have been on that shelf for over a year and I'm thinking I need to clean house and donate them. The last time we moved I ended up throwing a bunch of books away. It still haunts me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks a bunch Sarah for your well wishes! That's a good idea to use pperbackswap. Boy, you're so right! It can be rough when it comes time to move. The weight can be backbreaking! Hugs....

      Delete
  3. No! Never! I cannot throw books away! It would be like throwing a friend over a cliff...and I won't do that either :)
    My family will just have to take on that responsibility in the future. My children, grandchildren and great grandchildren have all grown-up with books in their lives, as did I. They all still look through my library and borrow my books.
    Happy Birthday!!! I am also a Leo. Happy Anniversary, too!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whew! Thank goodness Jan that no one, or any books is/are being tossed overboard these days! (lol) That's awesome that the entire family enjoys novels. You're blessed. Ahh...another Leo - yay! When is your birthday? Thanks for the anniversary wishes, too. What is your blog name? Hugs...

      Delete
  4. I cannot. I cannot part with my babies. I'm like the cat lady of books. I want them all!

    Happy Birthday, Ro! <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I was younger, I had such a massive amount that I ended up donating quite a few. That was over 20 years ago! Now, I'm like you and prefer to hold on to them unless I have duplicates. Thanks for the birthday wishes. Hugs!

      Delete
  5. Happy anniversary. I tend to give books away, and keep just a few. Greetings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, that's interesting! You don't have to worry about dusting all those bookshelves, right? (lol) Thanks for the kind wishes!

      Delete
  6. Happy birthday!!

    Oh gosh, the horror of throwing away books!?!?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and happy anniversary too!

      Delete
    2. Thanks so much for your kind wishes Braine. You're the best. I have a hard time thinking about throwing them out, too! (lol) Hugs...

      Delete
  7. Woots! Happy almost birthday! I'm an August baby too :D Yay us! And happy 7 years. Holy cow that's amazing, Ro!

    I'm a book keeper. I just. Nope I am NOT giving my books away. Or tossing them (unless teh herd has managed to do unspeakable things to them and then they get tossed and replaced). My mom threw one away recently. I was horrified but laughed too. She was so upset by the book she just couldn't. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the kind wishes and be looking out for a card from me soon! How dare we be born in the hottest month of the year, right? 20+ years ago, I had waaay too many books and had to donate. That's not the case now. Unless I have duplicates, they are mine, mine, mine! (lo) You're so right. Some books just can't be replaced and it's the pits! BIG Hugs to mom!

      Delete
  8. Happy Anniversary and happy almost birthday.

    My mom used to give me all of her books. She'd come over with huge boxes of 50-70 books and just give them to me. I would let her borrow my books and she'd laugh that she had to bring them back. I keep my books...almost all of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's my kind of mom, Mary! Now, unless I have duplicates I keep them all, too. Too precious to give up! Hugs and thanks for the kind wishes.

      Delete

We love comments, feedback and YOU! Hugs...