Tuesday, December 22, 2015

APPLELICIOUS SHEET CAKE & RESOLUTIONS


According to the folks over at www.statisticbrain.com, a tiny percentage of just 8% of the population actually KEPT their resolutions in 2015 and I'm not surprised.  For 12 years in a row, I made the same ridiculous goal to lose weight and after about 30 days, I was done! (lol)

The trend of starting over began many years ago when John Wesley, the founder of Methodism, invented a new type of church service. These services were called Covenant Renewal Services, or what is now more traditionally known as Watch Night Services, held on New Year's Eve, as something different for those who didn't want to party. This was a time for many to worship and reflect on things past, as they renewed their commitment to God. Wikipedia


Fast forward from the 1700's where society now focuses on doing things to improve for the New Year, moving away from religion.  My resolution for 2015 was to visit more blogs and thank goodness I didn't screw that up!(lol)


Today's recipe comes from Better Homes and Garden Magazine. This is a dessert that will make you a star in the kitchen with guests and family for the holidays.

Apple Sheet Cake

Ingredients

Directions

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 13x9x2-inch baking pan; set aside. Peel, core, and coarsely shred one of the apples. Thinly slice remaining apple, removing seeds; cover and set apples aside. In a large bowl whisk together the butter, brown sugar, apple butter, eggs, and vanilla until smooth. Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt; whisk until combined. Fold in dried and fresh shredded apple. Spread batter into prepared pan. Arrange apple slices over batter.
  2. Bake about 40 minutes or until golden and a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Remove to a wire rack. Spoon Maple Icing over hot cake; spread evenly, using a pastry brush if necessary. Cool completely. Dust with apple pie spice or ground cinnamon.

MAPLE ICING

In a small bowl stir together 1 tablespoon melted butter, 1 tablespoon maple syrup, 1/2 cup powdered sugar, 1/4 teaspoon vanilla, and 1 tablespoon milk until smooth.

Today, I had to run an errand for a friend and headed to Wal-Mart.  I haven't had a cheeseburger in ages and decided to drive to a restaurant in Fayetteville called Tiger's Pizza & Subs, once I was finished.  Of course, I arrived well before their opening time, but the owner was really nice and let me in 15 minutes early.  I have one of those faces where people love to share, and today was no exception.  Strangely,  one of the owners walked over to me to put his belt on, and tuck in his shirt.  Uh...well okay.  He then pulled out his 357 placing it on my table, while I watched the Price is Right.  He grinned and told me no one had better mess with his money or they had something coming.  Huh...?  I laughingly told him I came in peace and just wanted my cheeseburger and fries.   

11 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Joy, I'm telling you girl, if we ever get to sit down over a cup of tea or coffee and a book, I have plenty of weird stories to share, for sure! (lol)

      Delete
  2. Since I know I won't keep a New Year's resolution, I don't make them. Thanks for the apple recipe! Happy Holidays!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ditto! When I made the blog resolution, I wasn't sure I could keep it, but I absolutely did it and met a ton of great peeps! A great way to sneak in some healthy apples to a recipe, right?*heh*

      Delete
  3. Well there's something I never heard before. Very interesting. I'm hit or miss with mine. I totally blundered the get healthy one. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I think the hit or miss is most of us, Anna! (lol)

      Delete
  4. Oh lord, do you bake all the time? I bet your house smells of cinnamon and vanilla. Yum!

    Happy holidays, Ro!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I try to bake because more than often I totally get it wrong, Braine. (lol) But still I keep going. Happy Holidays right back!

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. I know, right? Everyone gets super pumped and motivated, then it's like the fun passes, and that's the end of the resolution. (lol) Hugs...

      Delete
  6. I never keep mine..LOL and yes the diet starts January 4th!!!

    ReplyDelete

We love comments, feedback and YOU! Hugs...