Monday, December 14, 2015

WHAT WAS THE FIRST TYPE OF BOOK YOU READ?

When I was a kid, I was obsessed with The Godfather and spy stories by Robert Ludlum, so I read them over and over again.  Then I picked up a Barbara Cartland romance novel and was hooked on romance. Every time I could get my hands on a Harlequin romance,(remember how short the stories were?) a book by Rosemary Rogers, Patricia Maxwell, or Kathleen Woodiwiss, I was in heaven.  But my obsession didn't stop there, and before I knew it, my house was overflowing with romance books by a zillion different authors.



It wasn't until later that I gravitated towards erotic romance, so I had to own everything by Sierra Cartwright, Melissa Schroeder, Sasha White, Shayla Black, Cathryn Fox and Cherise Sinclair, to name a few...but the list of authors continued to grow and grow and grow. My erotic list was outrageous!

Eventually I toned it down and moved to books with less heat and included Catherine Anderson and Susan Elizabeth Phillips.


Now that I'm older, my TBR pile is quite eclectic.  Yes, it still includes romance, but the genre of that is so huge now, that it covers everything from comedy to shapeshifting, to BDSM, to westerns.  I even have a friend who loves to read about sheikhs! I've also thrown in spiritual, cookbooks, motivational, suspense and mystery to round things out.  

What about you?  Do you only read a particular type of novel, or do you mix things up a little?


10 comments:

  1. I've always loved faeries tales, when I was a kid I was a big Bailey School kids fan an those types of stories with monsters. Now, my monsters are just dirtier. LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dirty monsters, huh? You're too funny, Little Lanie! Fairy tales are fun, and it's cool how people can put different spins on them to keep them interesting. Hugs...

      Delete
  2. I stick with romance probably 95% of the time (the other mystery). But I'm all over the genre and read in the different subgenres. It really is amazing how many different types are out there :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ooh, that's a high percentage on the romance, Awesome Anna! I love how we can escape into the take of a love story in so many ways to keep it interesting. Hugs...

      Delete
  3. The first book I read for my own enjoyment was Stephen King's Cujo. I was 16 years old and couldn't put it down. I read every horror book I could get my hands on from the school's library after that and kept reading horror until I was in my 20's. My mom brought over a huge box of books one time and they were all romance novels. I started reading them and loved them and have been reading them ever since.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I remember Stephen King for sure, back in the day, Mary, and Cujo was definitely one of them, along with The Shining. I read quite a few of his books for a while, before moving on, but he is a true genius in his craft. Like you, I still enjoy my love stories!

      Delete
  4. I don't remember what the first few books I read but they were probably YA books that are either funny or full of magic & fantasy. I don't think my taste in books have changed at all.

    I've always like fiction with a bit of fantasy and mystery but no horror. but I do try to read other varieties and I will read anything that catches my interest. I guess that is why I read a lot of book blogs just to find new books.

    hope you have a lovely holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't read a lot of YA novels, but ;like you, I enjoy magic and fantasy, particularly in movies, and as I mentioned to Mary, I used to love Stephen King, there is no horror in my future these days in any form. (lol) I enjoy reading book blogs, too to get opinions on new novels. Merry Christmas to you and your family!

      Delete
  5. I use to read Woodiwiss, but like you I read every dang thing from romance to zombies and everything in-between.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Her work was fascinating, right? I was with you until you mentioned those dang zombies! (lol) Hugs...

      Delete

We love comments, feedback and YOU! Hugs...