Saturday, April 15, 2017

ARE YOU TREATED DIFFERENTLY BECAUSE YOU READ A LOT?

My mom read to me all the time when I was a kid, which started my obsession with books. Because I enjoyed reading so much, it only made sense that I enjoyed studying in school. No matter where I went, a book traveled with me. I read just about anything I could get my hands on including Harlequin romances, The Godfather, Sidney Sheldon and more.  I really wanted to learn, learn, learn, or escape into other worlds. But I was also a serious tomboy heavily into sports and hanging out with the guys. Better at extreme sports than a lot of the boys, no one seemed to think that was unusual.  I didn't really understand it at the time, but often I was the butt of jokes and considered a nerd.  I wouldn't say that I was bullied necessarily, but there were definitely occasions that I felt ...different or as if I didn't belong.

Most people have rigid ideas about nerds, but here are 3 definitions on what that word really means.


  1. A person seen as overly intellectual, obsessive, or lacking social skills. Such a person may spend inordinate amounts of time on unpopular, little known, or non-mainstream activities, which ... Wikipedia
  2. A person who behaves awkwardly around other people and usually has unstylish clothes, hair, etc. — nerd in a sentence.    https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/nerd
  3. A person who could be one of the most dangerous people in the entire world. Nerds have invented machine guns, assault rifles, armor piercing ammunition, high explosives, etc. www.urbandictionary.com
I'm not sure if those definitions are truly accurate these days.(if they ever were)  Just because we spend a lot of time in bookstores or in libraries doesn't make us socially awkward.  It just means we just love to read. Now, I'm the person that everyone gives their unwanted books to when they're doing Spring cleaning. I get the  magazines that no one wants anymore.  I even have random novels left at my door!
There are a zillion blogs specifically dedicated to books/authors and we're ranting or raving about...books all the time! We're the cool kids now! Being a reader is almost like being a rock star because we get tons of attention. Yay!

MANGO LOVE - I totally adore the tart/sweet taste of a mango, so coming across this recipe from Bon - Appetit was perfect.  This particular recipe comes from the Pub Royal in Chicago and is a big hit with patrons.






FROZEN RUM-MANGO LASSI

INGREDIENTS
11/4 Cups Peeled Fresh or Frozen, Thawed Mango Pieces
1/2 Cup Gold Rum
1/4 Cup Fresh Lemon Juice
1/4 Cup Golden Syrup or Honey
2 Tbsp Plain Whole Milk Greek Yogurt
Pinch of Kosher Salt
1/2 Tsp Ancho Chile Powder
Mint Sprigs


INSTRUCTIONS
Puree mango, rum, lemon juice, golden syrup, yogurt, salt, and ½ tsp. ancho chile powder in a blender until syrup is dissolved. Add 4 cups ice, and puree until mixture is smooth. Divide the Lassi among glasses. Garnish each with a mint sprig and lightly sprinkle with more Ancho Chile powder.  This drink works well without alcohol or the extra heat.



NEED MORE FREE BOOKS?


www.freebooksifter.com

www.bookcrossing.com/

www.bookmooch.com
https://openlibrary.org/




22 comments:

  1. I sometimes cringe when friends and family who know me as a book nerd tell others to go to me for book recommendations. I can only recommend book to people whom I know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! That's super interesting, but speaks to how you're respected because of all your expertise. Hugs...

      Delete
  2. I was a very similar child. I adored books and always had one on me, but I also enjoyed playing hard particularly in sports. There were moments when kids and adults would look at me funny because I knew something that seemed to come out of the blue for them and I would admit sheepishly 'I read it in a book'.

    Yum! Mango Lassi sounds good for a summer drink.

    Have a great Easter, Ro!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Super Sophia, I always consider myself as super quirky because I know these random trivia things that most people could care less about, because I read about it somewhere, too. (lol) I'm thrilled to know that I'm not alone. Hope your Easter was fab!

      Delete
  3. the love of reading is something we should all develop, it's a very good thing to able to read and enjoy a book, our mind needs something to distract from the messy things in life or that's what I think anyway

    have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Because of blogging I've met more readers than I ever have in real life. (lol) Hugs...

      Delete
  4. I hid that I was a reader in middle school and high school because I didn't want to be labeled a nerd. I wish now I hand't spent so much time and energy trying to be someone I wasn't. I was popular enough but I think I would've been happier if I had just been myself. I am glad that being a reader or being a little nerdy is considered way more socially acceptable than it used to be.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, sometimes as kids we want to fit in, but like you, if we could just have been ourselves without being judged that would have been so much better. I'm glad that people who read these days have an avenue to talk about books via blogging. But I think people are more inclined to deal with a reader a little more too these days. Hugs...

      Delete
  5. I was never labeled a nerd but I never made friends easily. I always kept to myself and didn't understand until I was in my 20's that I was really different and why. I have a personality disorder called Schizotypal Personality Disorder. I've had it all my life and just didn't know it. I don't feel or show much emotion and I think differently than others. I had to learn to mimic others emotions so I would seem normal. It took a long time to learn to do that but I do it now without a problem. I read a lot because I can be wrapped up in another world and not have to worry whether or now I'm acting correctly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's amazing how many things we went through back in the day that didn't make sense until we were grown. I was watching a medical show on television where a doctor had similar symptoms, but they called what he had a type of autism. I really enjoy your personality and the way you think, because it makes you unique and interesting. Books do have a way of wrapping us up in their world, right? Hugs...

      Delete
  6. I am a true bibliophile! I love and collect books and I also have a social life. I cannot ever have to many books! Hard cover, soft cover, pocket books, table coffee books, subjects A thru Z, I read through all four seasons! I love new books, old books, books that are falling apart!!! I just love books as you do RO and I grew-up with my books, too and I also read to my children and grandchildren. I've lost count of how many books I own but I always want more of them :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay! I'm totally with you Jan! Books and reading are my life, and there's always something new to find and learn. Too many books to count for sure! Hugs...

      Delete
  7. My grandmother is responsible for my love of reading and the Philadelphia Phillies. I also inherited her trait of watching a Phillies' game on television and returning to where I left off in my book during the commercials. Enjoy your Sunday, RO!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Big hugs to your grandma for giving you such a healthy love of books. Reading makes life a lot more interesting and fun! Hugs...

      Delete
  8. Ha - Harlequin romances, The Godfather, Sidney Sheldon and more - ME TOO! I'd pick up a book my mom put down and ask could I read it. I still love to read but I only did it on my time at home when I was in high school. I wasn't one to have my nose in a book during school hours. But as an adult I didn't care. I remember starting a new job and staying at my desk to eat and read my book. The receptionist who was a very sweet busy body said, "Hun, you're going to have to start going into the lunch room the socialize or those girls are going to think you are stuck up." So I gave up my lunch time book reading and got into The Bold and the Beautiful. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL! I've watched The Bold and Beautiful a time or two. I really adored Sidney Sheldon for sure. It's sad that people think we may be stuck up just because of our love for reading, but glad you were accepted and treated wonderfully. So glad you came by to say hello. Hugs...

      Delete
  9. I came to reading late (mid-20s) and found blogging not too long after that. That's pretty fun you've had random books left on the doorstep. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I remember reading one year that you didn't get into reading until later in life, but to me, it seems as if you've always been a reader because you have all this knowledge about a zillion authors! Yes, it's neat that I get front door delivery, and very kind of people. Hugs...

      Delete
  10. Being able to read is magic ... just ask my grandchildren.
    It is a joy to see them sitting reading, I so hope this stays with them.

    Not everyone has the opportunity to read, some may find it difficult ... there is nothing more rewarding than to sit and help those who find it more difficult and slowly see them appreciate and enjoy the written words come to life.

    All the best Jan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree Jan. The escape, the excitement and the knowledge are things I live for with every novel. I wish my mom was still around to tell her of my appreciation for reading that she started so early in life. It is fascinating to see people get into books. Hugs...

      Delete
  11. Reading is one of the most enjoyable past times I think. There is so much you can learn from reading, regardless of whether it's fiction or non-fiction. My love of reading started 10 years ago as a way to escape a sad situation that had happened in my family, and it has stood the test of time over that period now becoming a passion. Hugs :-)
    P.S: BookNERDS are cool! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey There Shaz, and thanks for stopping by. My life would be nothing without books. I'm sorry you had a sad situation but glad you received some therapy and relief from novels. Like you, I agree that books are a passion. Hugs...

      Delete

We love comments, feedback and YOU! Hugs...