Wednesday, May 24, 2017

DID YOU KNOW THIS... and MERMAID MARSHMALLOW PIE

WALKING
Do you like to walk?  Are you supposed to be doing lots more walking?  Could you care less about getting more steps in? 

According to www.walkscore.com, these are the top 10 places in the US that are considered "walkable".  These cities offer relatively easy access to most places you want to go, and things you like to see.  In addition,Internist Dr. Jampolis says that this exercise leads to the same hypertension reductions and diabetes risks as running.  Did your city make the list?


1.  New York
2.  San Francisco
3.  Boston
4.  Philadelphia
5.  Miami
6.  Chicago
7.  Washington D.C.
8.  Seattle
9.  Oakland
10. Long Beach

VITAMINS
Vitamin A, D, E & K  are vitamins that you normally get from fruits, nuts, fish, and veggies, so unless your doctor gives you the okay, don't add extra pills to your diet. Extremely high doses can be extremely harmful.

SUPER HERO
Most of us remember Wonder Woman when she was on television from 1975 to 1979, and played by Lynda Carter, but she was actually created over 70 years ago as a superhero in the 1941 edition of All Star Comics #8.

PRICE IS RIGHT
Everyone in the audience at The Price is Right, is not actually there to be a contestant, and gladly pay for their tickets!  Can you believe it? Some just want to watch one of the two tapings scheduled for that day.

SITCOM
Once Friends was done taping their final episode in 2004, each cast member received a special yearbook, and a piece of the sidewalk from outside the studio's Central Park coffee shop.

MOVIE NEWS
Yes, there will be a Guardians of the Galaxy 3!  Yay!


FREE COFFEE
If you need an extra jolt of caffeine throughout in the morning, live in New York and want to leave your wallet at home,  head over to Loosie's Cafe on 3 South 6th Street in Brooklyn from 7am -8am all summer long!  This FREE deal includes cappuccinos, frappuccinos, lattes and iced coffee. http://www.loosiescafe.com.

COUPON EXTRAVAGANZA
If your coupon matches exactly, it may be used at the Dollar Store where you can leave out of there just paying taxes on your merchandise.  Last week I scored 12 bottles of Gain for less than $1.00!



COOL PIE
This recipe comes from The Waitress Pie Book:Sugar, Butter Flour and looks absolutely yummy! Prep time is about 45 minutes, with a chilling time of 4 hours.  Don't you just adore the name of the recipe?

MERMAID MARSHMALLOW PIE

INGREDIENTS
Shortbread Cookie Pie Shell
1 3/4 Cups Shortbread Cookie Crumbs, from about  ounces of cookies
6 Tbsp Unsalted Butter, melted

Filling
1/2 Cup Heavy Cream, chilled
8 Oz. Cream Cheese, room temperature
1/2 Cup Sweetened Condensed Milk
1 Tsp Vanilla Extract
1 Pinch of Salt
1 Cup Drained Pineapple, patted dry
1 Cup Drained Mandarin Oranges, patted dry
3/4 Cup Pecan Pieces
1 Cup Sweetened Flaked Coconut, + 1 tbsp for garnish
2 Cups Colored Mini Marshmallows

DIRECTIONS
1.  For the Pie Shell:  Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Toss together cookie crumbs, and melted butter in a medium bowl until crumbs are moistened.  Press mixture onto bottom and up the sides of a 1/2 inch deep dish pan.  Chill at least 15 minutes.  Bake in the center of the preheated oven just until fragrant and set, about 10 minutes.  Cool in a pan on a wire rack, about 20 minutes.

2.  For the Filling:  Beat cream in a chilled medium bowl with an electric mixer on high speed until firm peaks form.  Chill until ready to use.

3.  Beat cream cheese in a large bowl with an electric mixer on medium speed until smooth.  Add the condensed milk, vanilla and salt, then beat until smooth.  Fold in pineapple, oranges, pecans and 1 cup of the coconut until combined.  Gently fold in the chilled whipped cream.  Pour mixture into prepared pie crust, and smooth the top.  Chill until set, about 4 hours.

4.  Top pie evenly with marshmallows, and sprinkle with 1 tbsp coconut.


SUMMER MOVIES
Need something to do with the kids this summer on the cheap?  Once again, Regal Cinema comes to the rescue with their almost free movie deals.  Fun family choices will be available Tuesday and Wednesdays for just $1.00 per person.   Trolls, Ice Age: Collision Course, Alvin & The Chipmunks and Kung Fu Panda 3 are just a few of the choices that will be available. The goodies we all cringe at while there however, will NOT be discounted. (lol) For more info visit :

Search Results

Summer Movie Express - Regal Cinemas




FOOD FESTIVALS
If you love to eat AND want to get your daily steps in, Food Festivals are available all over the place that may not be publicized.  Here's a few:

July 1, 2017
Northern Arizona Taco Fest
Flagstaff, Arizona
July 1, 2017
Red, White & Brews
Atlanta, Georgia
July 1, 2017  44th Annual International Cherry Pit-Spitting Championship - Eau Claire, Michigan
July 1-2, 2017  25th Annual International Mango Festival
Coral Gables, Florida
July 1-3, 2017  14th Annual Pork & Brew State BBQ Championship
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
July 1-4, 2017 - Key Lime Festival - Key West, Florida
July 1-4, 2017 - Houlton Agricultural Fair - Houlton, Maine
July 1-8, 2017 - National Cherry Festival - Traverse City, Michigan
July 2, 2017 - Culver City Centennial Westside Food & Wine Festival
Culver City, California
July 2, 2017 - Red, White & Blue BBQ Bash - Lahaska, Pennsylvania
July 3, 2017 - Good Ol’ Summertime Ice Cream Social & Pie Baking Contest - Manitou Springs, Colorado
If you'd like to find out more about foodie fun in your neck of the woods, don't forget to check out:  www.foodreference.com
I've been a Star Trek fan since forever, and I've noticed throughout the years that one thing has remained consistent.  The Enterprise is a spaceship filled with hundreds of different races and cultures and everyone gets along.  Why can't the real world be like that?



"In union there is strength" Aesop



20 comments:

  1. Ohh I have walked the streets of New York City. It was wholly intimidating at first but once you figure out how the streets work, you'll always find your way. Ow, my feet, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl, tell me about it! It's fun to look at all the cool stuff, but once you get back home, the pain is very real. (lol)

      Delete
  2. I need to walk more. I want to walk outside around the neighborhood, but we are in the rainy season rather than spring. LOL

    Hey, fun list of food festivals. I've been to the Traverse City Cherry Festival. If you can make it with cherries it is there.

    I'll have to try the Mermaid Pie just for the name alone. :)

    Have a great day, Ro!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! I love cherries and bet that was so fun to see! That Mermaid cake is making my mouth water right now. Hugs...and hope your day is amazing!

      Delete
  3. The problem here in Nashville is that the weather is rarely bearable for walking. Most of the year, it's 90+ degrees. When it isn't, it's either raining or 30 degrees. So I just joined a gym. But I do have a Fitbit and go to the walking track to get my 10,000 steps in a day.

    I could have used that mermaid pie when we had a mermaid party during our book tour!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Girl, you're like I am when it comes to heat. I can't stand it because I get super sluggish AND sweaty. YIKES, 10,000 steps sounds like a lot. I wonder if I put one of those on, what my number would be. Would probably be pretty small. (lol) Your tour really looked like you had a fab time!

      Delete
  4. Thanks for tidbits and trivia. Well now I need to go to NY this summer for a free latte!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm with you on that trip to New York, Kim! lol Hugs...

      Delete
  5. My daughter lives in Philly and averages walking 5 to 10 miles a day.
    Your blogs always have such fun factoids and cool stuff:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! She must be super fit, and I definitely need to be hanging out with her. (lol) Thanks for the kudos. Ironically, friends and family sometimes get irritated with me, because I talk about trivia all the time, and was initially why I started this blog. It's since evolved a little, but I still can't help myself. *heh*

      Delete
  6. Yay, Philadelphia, made the list! Thank you for the Mermaid Pie recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From your blog and other friends, really seems like there's a lot to do in Philly! Hugs...

      Delete
  7. Aww Worf and Jadzia. I loved them together.
    I walk a bit walking the dog but I have Osteoarthritis in my knee's so too much walking is painful.

    I just got told last month that my Vitamin D and Folic Acid was almost non existent. Guess who's taking 2 more pills each morning now. This girl. lol

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks goodness they noticed you were deficient Mary so they could take care of that! Star Trek is the bomb, for sure. I know keen pain is the pits and hope you feel better. Hugs...

      Delete
  8. I live 15 mins from San Francisco and it’s defiantly a walking city. I can’t wait for the new wonder woman movie, I’ve always been a fan. Loving this Mermaid pie recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow! That's so cool to live close to San Fran. I visited Fisherman's Wharf and had a blast! Happy Friday!

      Delete
  9. LOL a couple of those places on the walking list I would so not feel comfortable walking by myself. I'll stick to Cary. They do a pretty great job on the trails :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely want to get to the park to see the fishing, because I'm pretty sure I can only walk about 5 whole minutes on a trail, girl! (lol)

      Delete
  10. My name is DOROTHY LISA, I want to share a great testimony on this website on how great a man called Prophet Abulele helped me in getting pregnant, me and my husband have been trying to have a baby for over 12 years, but they were no luck so we decided to contact the family doctor and after all the test have been done, he said to us that my Fallopian tube is not functioning. then one day I was in the office when a friend of mine who had the same problem with me, got her baby after she contacted Prophet Abulele. she directed me to him and when I contacted him through his email: prophetabulelehealingtemple@gmail.com and he prayed for me and sent me an herbal medicine, which I took for few days and in 3 weeks’ time, as he told me, i was feeling somehow and I went to meet the family doctor who told me that I am pregnant. if you know that you have a similar problem like this, or any fertility issue and you want to be pregnant you can contact Prophet Abulele: prophetabulelehealingtemple@gmail.com OR WhatsApp him on +2349022406159

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was diagnosed as HEPATITIS B carrier in 2013 with fibrosis of the
    liver already present. I started on antiviral medications which
    reduced the viral load initially. After a couple of years the virus
    became resistant. I started on HEPATITIS B Herbal treatment from
    ULTIMATE LIFE CLINIC (www.ultimatelifeclinic.com) in March, 2020. Their
    treatment totally reversed the virus. I did another blood test after
    the 6 months long treatment and tested negative to the virus. Amazing
    treatment! This treatment is a breakthrough for all HBV carriers.

    ReplyDelete

We love comments, feedback and YOU! Hugs...