As a kid, my mom tried to teach me to cook and I wasn't having it, so knowing that this child prodigy is actually a well traveled gourmet chef truly amazes me. I give many kudos to this brilliant young man. I've been watching Man vs Child for the past two years, and all these young people truly know what they are doing. I mean they literally battle well-known chefs for bragging rights! But don't take my word for it. Say hello to Chef Holden Dahlerbruch.
1. We watch you on the FYI Channel, but where else can we see your work?
Chef Holden: I have done a lot through the TV show, but I have done much
more. I work in a restaurant in Culver City called The Wallace on Saturdays. I
also am working on redoing the school lunch menu for my school district.
Recently I did a pop up dinner and a small bites evening at Stage + Table in
2. Wow! You're super busy! What was the first thing you ever cooked and how old were you?
Chef Holden: I cooked first when I was four. I got up every morning to
make scrambled eggs while standing on a chair.
3. Do you do all of the cookIng at home for your family?
Chef Holden: I do not do all the cooking for my family but I do much of
it. My dad also cooks dinner when I have too much homework. My mom likes to try
our food, set the table, and loves making reservations at fun new restaurants
to try out.
4. I love trying new restaurants too! What is your favorite thing to cook?
Chef Holden: I love to cook almost everything. I make fresh pasta once a
week and I have recently been trying more Asian flavors.
5. Yum to pasta! When will the new season start, and are you friends with the other prodigies on the show?
Chef Holden: We have no idea when or if we are doing another season. I am
as impatient as you are, because it was such a great experience. I am friends with
all the other prodigies so I hope we get to do it again.
6. I'm sure keeping my fingers crossed! Who has been your favorite chef to compete against and why?
Chef Holden: I have so many favorite competitors. My top five are Joel
Miller, Zoe Schor, Richie Farina, Dustin Trani, and Keith Breedlove to name a
For me, it isn’t just the competition. These chefs are my favorites
because I learned from all of them. Chef Keith taught us about pickled grapes
and I make those all the time. Joel is now my mentor at The Wallace. Richie is
one of the best molecular
Gastronomy chefs in the world, it was such a pleasure
to compete against him. I have staged in Dustin’s restaurant and my family
still goes there for dinner all the time. And Zoe came looking for ideas. She
is currently working on opening a new restaurant in Chicago and we were
throwing ideas off each other. She later sent me an email saying she tested my
stabilization technique for foam and it worked perfectly.
7. That's phenomenal to work with so many wonderful chefs and to learn new things. What was the last movie you watched and what did you like about it?
Chef Holden: The most recent movie I watched was actually Toy Story 2.
One of my best friends had never seen it. It is such a great film. I always
remember it playing over and over again on Disney Channel. It is just one of
the most perfect animated movies of all time.
8. That's a movie I've never seen, but it looks like I should check it out soon. What would people be surprised to know about you?
Chef Holden: Most people would be surprised to find out I am on my
school’s ComedySportz team. ComedySportz is competitive improvisation played as
a sport. Also, I started a Spontaneous Pancake Club at my school to give out free
pancakes to students in need of a stress reliever.
9. That sounds pretty neat! Where will we see you in the next 10 years?
Chef Holden: Truthfully, I have no idea where I will be in ten years. I
want to go to business school and do something with food but I am keeping my
options open. Currently, I am working on a few outside projects that I'm
keeping under wraps for now but will announce soon!
10. We'll be on the lookout for the upcoming news soon. If people want you to cook for them, or cater a meal, how can they reach you?
Chef Holden: The best way to contact me is via email:
ChefHoldenCooks@gmail.com or direct message me on Instagram
@ChefHoldenCooks Please email me if you
want me to cater, make an appearance, want to know a little bit more about me,
or have a question on cooking. I am happy to answer!
Well there you have it! We've hung out with a famous chef who's not even 21 yet! Even better, Chef Holden is not only knowledgeable about the cooking world, but he has a very kind heart. You can also meet him on Twitter to get more information. All this talking about food has made me hungry, so I'm outta here for a snack!